It completed copying 191,xxx MB without issue in 17 hours and 40 minutes,
average transfer rate of 3.0MB/Sec.  During the copy (At least the first hour
or so, and an hour in the middle), the machine was reasonably responsive.  It
was jerky to a greater or lesser extent, but nothing like even the best times
with gzip-9.  Not sure how to convey it.  The machine was usable.

It was stopped by running out of disk space.  The source was about 1GB larger
than the target zfs file system.  (When I started this exercise I had an IT8212
PCI PATA card in the system for a another pair of drives for the pool, and took
it out to eliminate a potential cause of my troubles).

Interestingly before I started I had to reboot, as there was a "trashapplett"
eating 100% of the CPU, 60% user, 40% system.  Note that I have not made, much
less deleted any files with gnome, nor put any in my home directory.  I don't
even know how to do these things, as I am a KDE man.  All I have done is futz
with this zfs in a separate pool and type at terminal windows.  Can't imagine
what trashapplett was doing with 100% of the CPU for an extended time without
any files to manage!

Something I have not mentioned is that the fourth memory socket was worn out a
few years ago testing memory, this is why I only have 768 installed (The bottom
3 have not been abused and are fine).  My next move is to trade the motherboard
for one in good shape so I can put in all 1024MB, plug in the IT8212 with a
couple of 160GB disks to get my pool up to 360GB, and install RC2...

But it looks like 2008.11 has been released!  The mirrors still have 2008.05,
but the main link goes to osol-0811.iso!  Is that final, not an RC?

I will be beating on it to gain confidence and learn about Solaris.  If anyone
wants me to run any other tests, let me know.  Thanks (again) for all of your
help.