Re pantzer5's suggestion:

Memory is not a big problem for ZFS, address space is. You may have to
give the kernel more address space on 32-bit CPUs.

eeprom kernelbase=0x80000000

This will reduce the usable address space of user processes though.

---
Would you please verify that I understand correctly.  I am extrapolating here
based on general knowledge:

During a running user process, the process has the entire lower part of the
address space below the kernel.  The kernel is loaded at kernelbase, and has
from there to the top (2**32-1) to use for its purposes.  Evidently it is
relocatable or position independent.

The positioning of kernelbase really has nothing to do with how much physical
RAM I have, since the user memory and perhaps some of the kernel memory is
virtual (paged).  So the fact that I have 768MB does enter into this decision
directly (It does indirectly per Jeff's note implying that kernel structures
need to be larger with larger RAM, makes sense, more to keep track of, more
page tables).

By default kernelbase is set at 3G, so presumably the kernel needs a minimum of
1G space.

Every userland process gets the full virtual space from 0 to kernelbase-1.  So
unless I am going to run a process that needs more than 1G, there is no
advantage in setting kernelbase to something larger than 1G, etc.  Even if
physical RAM is larger.

If I am not going to run virtual machines, or edit enormous video or audio or
image files in RAM, I really have no use for userland address space, and giving
alot to the kernel can only help it to have things mapped rather than having to
recreate create information (Although I don't have a good handle on the utility
of address space without a storage mechanism like RAM or Disk behind it...must
be something akin to a pagefault with pages mapped to a disk file so you don't
have to walk the file hierarchy).

Hence your suggestion to set kernelbase to 2G.  But 1G is probably fine too
(Although the incremental benefit may be negligible - I am going for the
principle here).

How am I doing?