I'm pretty sure I understand the importance of a snapshot API. (You take
the snap, then you do the backup or whatever....) My point is that, at
least on my quick read, you can do most of the same things with the ZFS
command line utilities. The relevant question would then be how stable
that is for the type of work we're talking about.