I can tell you a little about Windows VSS snapshots compared to ZFS ones, since
one of the main reasons I'm so interested in ZFS is because windows snapshots
are so useless.

For windows VSS:
* You have OS overhead for taking the snapshot, as opposed to it being
instantaneous for ZFS.  Microsoft actually recommend the snapshots are stored
on a separate disk.
* You have to reserve space in advance for them, so if you guess wrong you're
out of luck.
* Microsoft's snapshots can have one schedule.  They support hourly, daily or
weekly snapshots, but you can only pick one period.
* You are limited to 64 snapshots.

So if you want hourly snapshots of your data, you're not even going to have 3
days worth of backups.  If you can live with daily backups you can manage 2
months worth.

When you compare that to Tim's excellent auto backup service it makes VSS look
like a joke.  While ZFS doesn't actually limit how many snapshots you keep,
with just 90 you can run:

8x 15 minute snapshots
48x hourly snapshots
14x daily snapshots
8x weekly snapshots
12x monthly snapshots

So you have snapshots being taken *far* more regularly than VSS can manage, and
they go back a full year with considerable overlap between the different
periods.