On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 5:18 PM, Jim Klimov <jimkli...@cos.ru> wrote:

> Usecase scenario:
>
> I have a single server (or home workstation) with 4 HDD bays, sold with 2
> drives.
> Initially the system was set up with a ZFS mirror for data slices. Now we
> got 2
> more drives and want to replace the mirror with a larger RAIDZ2 set (say I
> don't
> want a RAID10 which is trivial to make).
>
> Technically I think that it should be possible to force creation of a
> degraded
> raidz2 array with two actual drives and two missing drives. Then I'd copy
> data
> from the old mirror pool to the new degraded raidz2 pool (zfs send | zfs
> recv),
> destroy the mirror pool and attach its two drives to "repair" the raidz2
> pool.

1. Buy, borrow or steal two External USB disk enclosures (if you don't have
two).
2. Install two new disks internally, and connect the other two via the USB
external enclosures.
3. Set up the zpool
4. Copy the data over.
5. Export both pool.
6. Shut Down
7. Remove the two old disks
8. Move the two disks from the External USB enclosures into the system
9. Start back up, and ...
10. Import the new pool.

   Arthur C. Clarke

My blog: http://initialprogramload.blogspot.com