Is it possible to create a (degraded) zpool with placeholders specified instead
of actual disks (parity or mirrors)? This is possible in linux mdadm ("missing"
keyword), so I kinda hoped this can be done in Solaris, but didn't manage to.

Usecase scenario:

I have a single server (or home workstation) with 4 HDD bays, sold with 2
drives.
Initially the system was set up with a ZFS mirror for data slices. Now we got 2
more drives and want to replace the mirror with a larger RAIDZ2 set (say I
don't
want a RAID10 which is trivial to make).

Technically I think that it should be possible to force creation of a degraded
raidz2 array with two actual drives and two missing drives. Then I'd copy data
from the old mirror pool to the new degraded raidz2 pool (zfs send | zfs recv),
destroy the mirror pool and attach its two drives to "repair" the raidz2 pool.

While obviously not an "enterprise" approach, this is useful while expanding
home systems when I don't have a spare tape backup to dump my files on it
and restore afterwards.

I think it's an (intended?) limitation in zpool command itself, since the kernel
can very well live with degraded pools.

//Jim