Thanks to all those who helped, even despite the "non-enterprise approach" of
this question ;)

While experimenting I discovered that Solaris /tmp doesn't seem to support
sparse files: "mkfile -n" still creates full-sized files which can either use
up the
swap space, or not fit there. ZFS and UFS filesystems make sparse files okay
though. This was tested on Solaris 10u4, 10u6 and OpenSolaris b103.

Other than this detail, scenario suggested by Tomas Ogren and updated by
Daniel Rock seems working. Of these two, the variant with "zpool offline" for
sparse files is preferential: it only takes one command to complete and is more
straightforward (less error-prone).

The variant with removing a sparse file requires "zpool scrub", otherwise the
file remains open on the filesystem and grows (consumes space) while I copy
data to the test pool. The consumed space is released after "zpool scrub" when
the removed file is finally unlinked from FS.

"zpool replace" works for both cases.