On 2/11/2009 12:57 PM, Tomas Ögren wrote:
On 11 February, 2009 - Kyle McDonald sent me these 1,2K bytes:

On 2/11/2009 12:11 PM, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
My understanding is that 1TB is the maximum bootable disk size since
EFI boot is not supported.  It is good that you were allowed to use
the larger disk, even if its usable space is truncated.

I don't dispute that, but I don't understand it either.

If EFI is not being used (ZFS boot doesn't use EFI on the root pool
since the BIOS doesn't (usually) uinderstand the EFI label) then what is
it that has a 1TB limit?

SMI/VTOC, the original label (partition table format:ish) system used.

EFI can use larger, but EFI tables for boot isn't supported right now.
I guess you should be able to put the rpool on a 50GB slice or so, then
put the other 1450GB in an EFI data pool..
Ok, So while the fdisk solaris partition could be made to use the whole disk, the solaris label/vtoc inside the solaris fdisk partition can only use 1TB of that.

Since you can't mix EFI and FDisk partition tables, and you can't have more than one Solaris fdisk partition (that I'm aware of anyway) it looks like 1TB is all you can give Solaris at the moment.

But you could give that other 400GB to some other OS or Filesystem I suppose.

SInce EFI boot requires (IIRC) X86 HW vendors to improve the BIOS support, EFI boot isn't going to be useful for a while even if it appeared tomorrow. Is there any hope, or plan to improve/fix teh Solaris VTOC?

  -Kyle

  -Kyle

It's just that you can't have the rpool>1TB due to boot limits.

/Tomas