SOLVED

According to `zdb -l /dev/rdsk/<vdev>`, one of my drives was missing
two of its four redundant labels. (#2 and #3) These two are next to
each other at the end of the device so it makes some sense that they
could both be garbled.

I'm not sure why `zfs import` choked on this [typical?] error case,
but its easy to fix with a very careful dd. I took a different and
very roundabout approach to recover my data, however, since I'm not
confident in my 'careful' skills. (after all, where's my backup?)
Instead, on a linux workstation where I am more cozy, I compiled
zfs-fuse from the source with a slight modification to ignore labels 2
and 3. fusermount worked great and I recovered my data without issue.

Thanks to everyone for all the help. I'm impressed by the amount of
community support here on the list!