On 6-Aug-09, at 11:50 , Kyle McDonald wrote:
i've seen some people use usb sticks, and in practice it works on SOME machines. The biggest difference is that the bios has to allow for usb booting. Most of todays computers DO. Personally i like compact flash because it is fairly easy to use as a cheap alternative to a hard drive. I mirror the cf drives exactly like they are hard drives so if one fails i just replace it. USB is a little harder to do that with because they are just not as consistent as compact flash. But honestly it should work and many people do this.

This product looks really interesting:

http://www.addonics.com/products/flash_memory_reader/ad2sahdcf.asp

But I can't confirm it will show both cards as separate disks…
My read is that it won't (which is supported by the single SATA data connector,) but it will do the mirroring for you.

Turns out the FAQ page explains that it will not, too bad.

I know that I generally prefer to let ZFS handle the redundancy for me, but for you it may be enough to let this do the mirroring for the root pool.

I'm with you there.

It seems too expensive to get 2. Do they have a cheaper one that takes only 1 CF card?

I just ordered a pair of the Syba units, cheap enough too test out anyway.

Now to find some reasonably priced 8GB CompactFlash cards…

Thanks,

A.

--
Adam Sherman