The intended use is NFS storage to back some VMWare servers running a
range of different VM's, including Exchange, Lotus Domino, SQL Server
and Oracle. :-) It's a very random workload, and all the research I've
done points to mirroring as the better option for providing a better
total IOP/s. The server in question is limited in the amount of RAM it
can take, so the effectiveness of both the arc and l2arc will be limited
somewhat, so I believe mirroring to be lower risk from a performance
point of view. But I've got mirrored 25-E's in there for the zil, and an
X25-M for arc as well.

Obviously some of this situation is not ideal, nor of my choosing. I'd
like to have a newer-faster server in there, and a second JBOD for more
drives, and probably another couple of X25-M's. Actually, I'd like to
just grab one of the Sun 7000 series and drop that in. :-) The only way
I'll get approval for the extra expenditure is to show that the current
system is viable in an initial proof of concept limited deployment
project, and one of the ways I'm doing that is to ensure I get what I
believe to be the best possible performance from my existing hardware -
and I think mirroring will do that.

Performance was actually more important than capacity, and I wasn't
willing to bet in advance on the arc's effectiveness. Actually, I
believe the current system will give me the requisite IOP/s without the
l2arc, I added the arc because for the cost I considered it silly not to
considering the relative cost. For those periods that it is effective,
it really makes a difference too!

T.