I've been running ZFS under FreeBSD which is experimental, and i've had
nothing but great luck....so i guess it depeneds on a number of things.  I
went with FreeBSD because the hardware i had wasn't supported in
solaris....i expected problems but honestly, it's been rock solid....it's
survived all kinds of things...power failures, a drive failure, partial
drive failure and a power supply dying...
I'm running 3 raidz1 VDEVS all with 1TB drives.   I've asked in the FreeBSD
forums for "horror stories" because i see SO many on this thread but so far,
noone has has ANYTHING bad to say about ZFS in FreeBSD.

I'm sure this is somewhat due to the fact that it's not as popular in
FreeBSD yet but i still expected to hear SOME horror stories....From my
experience and the experiences of the other people in the FreeBSD forums
it's been great running on both "non-sun" hardware AND software.