Well, I knew a guy who was involved in a project to do just that for a
production environment.  Basically they abandoned using that because there was
a huge performance hit using ZFS over NFS.  I didn’t get the specifics but his
group is usually pretty sharp.  I’ll have to check back with him.  So mainly
just to avoid that, but also VMware tends to roll out storage features on NFS
last after fibre and iSCSI.

*sorry if this is duplicate... Learning the workings of this discussion forum
as well*