On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 4:26 PM, Jason <wheelz...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Well, I knew a guy who was involved in a project to do just that for a
> production environment.  Basically they abandoned using that because there
> was a huge performance hit using ZFS over NFS.  I didn’t get the specifics
> but his group is usually pretty sharp.  I’ll have to check back with him.
>  So mainly just to avoid that, but also VMware tends to roll out storage
> features on NFS last after fibre and iSCSI.
>
> *sorry if this is duplicate... Learning the workings of this discussion
> forum as well*
> --

That's not true at all.  Dynamic grow and shrink has been available on NFS
forever.  You STILL can't shrink vmfs, and they've JUST added grow
capabilities.  Not to mention it being thin provisioned by default.  As for
performance, I have a tough time believing his performance issues were
because of NFS, and not some other underlying bug.

I've got MASSIVE deployments of VMware on NFS over 10g that achieve stellar
performance (admittedly, it isn't on zfs).

--Tim