On 09/25/09 13:35, David Abrahams wrote:
Hi,

Since I don't even have a mirror for my root pool "rpool," I'd like to
move as much of my system as possible over to my raidz2 pool, "tank."
Can someone tell me which parts need to stay in rpool in order for the
system to work normally?

Thanks.

The list of datasets in a root pool should look something like this:

rpool rpool/ROOT rpool/ROOT/snv_124 (or whatever version you're running) rpool/ROOT/snv_124/var (you might not have this) rpool/ROOT/snv_121 (or whatever other BEs you still have) rpool/dump rpool/export rpool/export/home rpool/swap plus any other datasets you might have added. Datasets you've added in addition to the above (unless they are zone roots under rpool/ROOT/<be-name> ) can be moved to another pool. Anything you have in /export or /export/ home can be moved to another pool. Everything else needs to stay in the root pool. Yes, there are contents of the above datasets that could be moved and your system would still run (you'd have to play with mount points or symlinks to get them included in the Solaris name space), but such a configuration would be non-standard, unsupported, and probably not upgradeable.

lori