Hi David,

I believe /opt is an essential file system as it contains software
that is maintained by the packaging system.
In fact anywhere you install software via pkgadd probably should be in
the BE under /rpool/ROOT/bename

AFIK it should not even be split from root in the BE under zfs boot
(only /var is supported) other wise LU breaks.

I have sub directories of /opt like /aop/app which does not contain
software installed via pkgadd.

I also split off /var/core and /var/crash.

Unfortunately when you need to boot -F and import the pool for
maintenance it doesn't mount /var causing directory /var/core and
/var/crash to be created in the root file system.

The system then reboots but when you do a lucreate, or lumount it
fails due to /var/core and /var/crash existing on the / file system
causing the mount of /var to fail in the ABE.

I have found it a bit problematic to split of file systems from /
under zfs boot and still have LU work properly.

I haven't tried putting split off file systems as apposed to
application file systems on a different pool but I believe there may
be mount ordering issues with mounting dependent file systems from
different pools where the parent file system are not part of the BE or
legacy mounts.

It is not possible to mount a vxfs file system under a non legacy zone
root file system due to ordering issues with mounting on boot (legacy
is done before automatic zfs mounts).

Perhaps u7 addressed some of there issues as I believe it is now
allowable to have zone root file system on a non root pool.

These are just my experiences and I'm sure others can give more
definitive answers.
Perhaps its easier to get some bigger disks.

Thanks

Peter