* David Abrahams (d...@boostpro.com) wrote:

> on Fri Sep 25 2009, Cindy Swearingen <Cindy.Swearingen-AT-Sun.COM> wrote:
>
> > Hi David,
> >
> > All system-related components should remain in the root pool, such as
> > the components needed for booting and running the OS.
>
> Yes, of course.  But which *are* those?
>
> > If you have datasets like /export/home or other non-system-related
> > datasets in the root pool, then feel free to move them out.
>
> Well, for example, surely /opt can be moved?

Don't be so sure.

> > Moving OS components out of the root pool is not tested by us and I've
> > heard of one example recently of breakage when usr and var were moved
> > to a non-root RAIDZ pool.
> >
> > It would be cheaper and easier to buy another disk to mirror your root
> > pool then it would be to take the time to figure out what could move out
> > and then possibly deal with an unbootable system.
> >
> > Buy another disk and we'll all sleep better.
>
> Easy for you to say.  There's no room left in the machine for another disk.

The question you're asking can't easily be answered.  Sun doesn't test
configs like that.  If you really want to do this, you'll pretty much
have to 'try it and see what breaks'.  And you get to keep both pieces
if anything breaks.

There's very little you can safely move in my experience.  /export
certainly.  Anything else, not really (though ymmv).  I tried to create
a seperate zfs dataset for /usr/local.  That worked some of the time,
but it also screwed up my system a time or two during
image-updates/package installs.

On my 2010.02/123 system I see:

bin             Symlink to /usr/bin
boot/
dev/
devices/
etc/
export/         Safe to move, not tied to the 'root' system
kernel/
lib/
media/
mnt/
net/
opt/
platform/
proc/
rmdisk/
root/           Could probably move root's homedir
rpool/
sbin/
system/
tmp/
usr/
var/

Other than /export, everything else is considered 'part of the root
system'.  Thus part of the root pool.

Really, if you can't add a mirror for your root pool, then make backups
of your root pool (left as an exercise to the reader) and store the
non-system specific bits (/export) on you're raidz2 pool.

Cheers,

--
Glenn