Hi Eric and all,

Eric Schrock wrote:

On Nov 3, 2009, at 6:01 AM, Jürgen Keil wrote:

I think I'm observing the same (with changeset 10936) ...

   # mkfile 2g /var/tmp/tank.img
   # zpool create tank /var/tmp/tank.img
   # zfs set dedup=on tank
   # zfs create tank/foobar

This has to do with the fact that dedup space accounting is charged to all filesystems, regardless of whether blocks are deduped. To do otherwise is impossible, as there is no true "owner" of a block

It would be great if someone could explain why it is hard (impossible? not a
good idea?) to account all data sets for at least one reference to each dedup'ed
block and add this space to the total free space?

This has some interesting pathologies as the pool gets full. Namely, that ZFS will artificially enforce a limit on the logical size of the pool based on non-deduped data. This is obviously something that should be addressed.

Would the idea I mentioned not address this issue as well?

Thanks, Nils