Hi,

It looks interesting problem.

Would it help if as ZFS detects dedup blocks, it can start increasing
effective size of pool.
It will create an anomaly with respect to total disk space, but it will
still be accurate from each file system usage point of view.

Basically, dedup is at block level, so space freed can effectively be
accounted as extra free blocks added to pool. Just a thought.

Regards,
Anurag.

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 9:39 PM, Nils Goroll <sl...@schokola.de> wrote:

> Hi Eric and all,
>
> Eric Schrock wrote:
>

>> On Nov 3, 2009, at 6:01 AM, Jürgen Keil wrote:
>>
>>  I think I'm observing the same (with changeset 10936) ...
>>>>

>>>   # mkfile 2g /var/tmp/tank.img
>>>   # zpool create tank /var/tmp/tank.img
>>>   # zfs set dedup=on tank
>>>   # zfs create tank/foobar
>>>

>> This has to do with the fact that dedup space accounting is charged to all
>> filesystems, regardless of whether blocks are deduped.  To do otherwise is
>> impossible, as there is no true "owner" of a block
>>

> It would be great if someone could explain why it is hard (impossible? not
> good idea?) to account all data sets for at least one reference to each
> dedup'ed
> block and add this space to the total free space?
>
>  This has some interesting pathologies as the pool gets full.  Namely, that
>> ZFS will artificially enforce a limit on the logical size of the pool based
>> on non-deduped data.  This is obviously something that should be addressed.
>>

> Would the idea I mentioned not address this issue as well?
>
> Thanks, Nils

Anurag Agarwal
CEO, Founder
KQ Infotech, Pune