On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 10:54 PM, Nils Goroll <sl...@schokola.de> wrote:
> Now to the more general question: If all datasets of a pool contained the
> same data and got de-duped, the sums of their "used" space still seems to be
> limited by the "locical" pool size, as we've seen in examples given by
> Jürgen and others and, to get a benefit of de-dup, this implementation
> obviously needs to be changed.

Agreed.

> But: Isn't there an implicit expectation for a space guarantee associated
> with a dataset? In other words, if a dataset has 1GB of data, isn't it
> natural to expect to be able to overwrite that space with other data? One

I'd say that expectation is not [always] valid. Assume you have a
dataset of 1GB of data and the pool free space is 200 MB. You are
cloning that dataset and trying to overwrite the data on the cloned
dataset. You will hit "no more space left on device" pretty soon.
Wonders of virtualization :)

--
Regards,
        Cyril