On Tue, November 3, 2009 10:32, Bartlomiej Pelc wrote:
> Well, then you could have more "logical space" than "physical space", and
> that would be extremely cool, but what happens if for some reason you
> wanted to turn off dedup on one of the filesystems? It might exhaust all
> the pool's space to do this. I think good idea would be another
> pool's/filesystem's property, that when turned on, would allow allocating
> more "logical data" than pool's capacity, but then you would accept risks
> that involve it. Then administrator could decide which is better for his
> system.

Compression has the same issues; how is that handled?  (Well, except that
compression is limited to the filesystem, it doesn't have cross-filesystem
interactions.)  They ought to behave the same with regard to reservations
and quotas unless there is a very good reason for a difference.

Generally speaking, I don't find "but what if you turned off dedupe?" to
be a very important question.  Or rather, I consider it such an important
question that I'd have to consider it very carefully in light of the
particular characteristics of a particular pool; no GENERAL answer is
going to be generally right.

Reserving physical space for blocks not currently stored seems like the
wrong choice; it violates my expectations, and goes against the purpose of
dedupe, which as I understand it is to save space so you can use it for
other things.  It's obvious to me that changing the dedupe setting (or the
compression setting) would have consequences on space use, and it seems
natural that I as the sysadmin am on the hook for those consequences.
(I'd expect to find in the documentation explanations of what things I
need to consider and how to find the detailed data to make a rational
decision in any particular case.)

--
David Dyer-Bennet, d...@dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info