David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
On Thu, November 12, 2009 13:36, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
I built a fileserver on solaris 10u6 (10/08) intending to back it up to
another server via zfs send | ssh othermachine 'zfs receive'

However, the new server is too new for 10u6 (10/08) and requires a later
version of solaris . presently available is 10u8 (10/09)

Is it crazy for me to try the send/receive with these two different
versions of OSes?

It says at the end of the zfs send section of the man page "The format of
the stream is committed. You will be able to receive your streams on
future versions of ZFS."

That would seem to be a rather strong general commitment.  That makes it
IMHO at least worth experimenting with the case you need, see if it
accepts the stream.  It should, according to the man page.

Like so many other things in Solaris, older revs of ZFS are supported in newer releases of Solaris. :-)

When you create a zfs filesystem on a version of Solaris, by default it is created by the latest ZFS fs version that version of Solaris supports.

HOWEVER, you can explicitly create a zfs filesystem with a backrev version, and it works fine (you just don't get the latest features). Look at the ZFS man page for creating a filesystem with a version other than the default.

This works for 'zfs send|receive', with this caveaut: the receiving filesytem will be created with the zfs filesystem version of the SENDER.

So, it's possible to send/receive a ZFS filesystem from a OLDER version of Solaris to a NEWER version, but NOT vice versa (unless the zfs filesystem on the newer Solaris was explicitly created with a backrev version that the older Solaris understands).

An example: (and, I'm sure I don't have the ZFS version numbers right, so check the man pages)

Say 10u6 supports ZFS version 10, and 10u8 support ZFS version 12.

By default, a 10u6 machine creates v10 ZFS filesystems, and 10u8 creates v12 filesystems. But, a 10u8 systems can also create v10 filesystems. So, you can send a 10u6 ZFS filesystem to a 10u8 machine, resulting in creating a new v10 filesystem on the 10u8 machine. However, you can't send a v12 filesystem from the 10u8 machine to the 10u6 machine. If you explicitly create a v10 filesystem on the 10u8 machine, you can send that filesystem to the 10u6 machine.

I hope that's clear.

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support