Miles Nordin wrote:
"ph" == Phil Harman <phil.har...@gmail.com> writes:

    >> "The format of the stream is committed. You will be able to
    >> receive your streams on future versions of ZFS."

What Erik said is stronger than the man page in an important way,
though.  He said you can dump an old stream into a filesystem on a new
zpool, and when you 'zfs send' the stream back out, it'll be in the
old format.  Keeping this commitment means you can store s10 streams
on snv_xxx backup servers as expanded filesystems, not
stream-inside-a-file, and still restore them onto s10 by 'zfs send'ing
from nevada.  One reason this makes sense as something one might
actually do because zpools are a lot more resilient to corruption than
'zfs send' streams.
It also came in very handy for me to archive a stream that caused a panic on Solaris 10. I was able to resend the stream to test patches.

--
Ian.