Yes indeed, but my point was that it was not always so. This change was something I and others campaigned for quite some time ago.

Indeed, in the early days of ZFS evangelism (when I was still at Sun) the issue came up rather often. In those days there were even more reasons not to use a zfs send stream as a backup.

My point was made partly to celebrate this welcome change (as reflected in the manpage) because I was pleasantly surprised to find that the change we had requested has already been delivered.

The other reason for my point was to remind people that there may be system out there for which this may not be the case, in which the old restrictions still hold until the relevant patches and/or upgrades have been applied.

Indeed, the heads up link I posted seems to imply that there are still some older versions of ZFS stream format which cannot be imported - that backwards compatibility has its reasonable limits.

When it come to Erik's exciting extention beyond what is already good news, perhaps the manpage needs to be stronger? It would be a shame for such useful information to be accessible only to random googlers and the august readers of this list.