> (1) disabling MSI support in xVM makes the problem go
> away

Yes here.

> (6) mpt(7d) without MSI support is sloooooow.

That does seem to be the case. It's not so bad overall, and at least the
performance is consistent. It would be nice if this were improved.

> For those of you who have been running xVM without
> MSI support,
> could you please confirm whether the devices
> exhibiting the problem
> are internal to your host, or connected via jbod. And
> if via jbod,
> please confirm the model number and cables.

Direct connect. The drives are in hot-swap racks, but they are passive devices.
No expanders or anything like that in there. In case it's interesting, the
racks are StarTech HSB430SATBK devices. I'm using SAS to SATA breakout cables
to connect them. I have tried different lengths with the same result.