Hey Dan,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I'd forgotten that it's often the heads that degrade -- something like
lubricant buildup, IIRC.
As well as SMART data, which I must admit to never looking at, presumably scrub
errors are also a good indication of looming trouble due to head problems etc?
As I've seen zero read/write/checksum errors after regular scrubs over 2 years,
hopefully this is a reasonably good sign of r/w head health.

Good to see you're already using a backup solution I have envisaged using. It
seems to make sense: making use of old kit for backups to help preserve ROI on
drive purchases -- even, no especially, for home users.

Cheers,
Simon

http://breden.org.uk/2008/03/02/a-home-fileserver-using-zfs/