On January 23, 2010 6:09:49 PM -0600 Tim Cook <t...@cook.ms> wrote:
When you've got a home system and X amount of dollars
to spend, $/GB means absolutely nothing when you need a certain number of
drives to have the redundancy you require.

Don't you generally need a certain amount of GB?  I know I plan my
storage based on how much data I have, even my home systems.  And THEN
add in the overhead for redundancy.  If we're talking about such a
small amount of storage ("home") that the $/GB is not a factor (ie,
even with the most expensive $/GB drives we won't exceed the budget and
we don't have better things to spend the money on anyway) then raidz3
seems unnecessary.  I mean, just do a triple mirror of the 1.5TB drives
rather than say (6) .5TB drives in a raidz3.

-frank