On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 08:36, Erik Trimble <erik.trim...@sun.com> wrote:

> These days, I've switched to 2.5" SATA laptop drives for large-storage
> requirements.
> They're going to cost more $/GB than 3.5" drives, but they're still not
> horrible ($100 for a 500GB/7200rpm Seagate Momentus).  They're also easier
> to cram large numbers of them in smaller spaces, so it's easier to get
> larger number of spindles in the same case. Not to mention being lower-power
> than equivalent 3.5" drives.
>
> My sole problem is finding well-constructed high-density 2.5" hot-swap
> bay/chassis setups.
> If anyone has a good recommendation for a 1U or 2U JBOD chassis for 2.5"
> drives, that would really be helpful.
>
> Erik, try this one on for size;
http://www.supermicro.com/products/accessories/mobilerack/CSE-M28E1.cfm

Supermicro has a number of variations on this theme, but I deployed this one
at a client site, and - so far - no complaints. I'm not sure I'd run one of
these personally, because it seems that drives would tend to run hotter than
if individually stacked in a conventional PC case***....but....write some of
that off to me being excessively conservative when it comes to cooling. That
said, it's Supermicro after all, and they tend to sell well engineered gear.

***Unless you stuffed it with SSD's - </wet messy hysterical laughter>

-Me