On 01/28/10 11:13 PM, Lutz Schumann wrote:
While thinking about ZFS as the next generation filesystem without
limits I am wondering if the real world is ready for this kind of
incredible technology ...

I'm actually speaking of hardware :)

ZFS can handle a lot of devices. Once in the import bug
(http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6761786)
is fixed it should be able to handle a lot of disks.

That was fixed in build 125.

I want to ask the ZFS community and users what large scale deploments
are out there.  How man disks ? How much capacity ? Single pool or
many pools on a server ? How does resilver work in those
environtments ? How to you backup ? What is the experience so far ?
Major headakes ?

It would be great if large scale users would share their setups and
experiences with ZFS.

The largest ZFS deployment that we have is currently comprised of 22 Dell MD1000 enclosures (330 750 GB Nearline SAS disks). We have 3 head nodes and use one zpool per node, comprised of rather narrow (5+2) RAIDZ2 vdevs. This setup is exclusively used for storing backup data.

Resilver times could be better - I am sure that this will improve once we upgrade from S10u9 to 2010.03.

One of the things that I am missing in ZFS is the ability to prioritize background operations like scrub and resilver. All our disks are idle during daytime and I would love to be able to take advantage of this, especially during resilver operations.

This setup has been running for about a year with no major issues so far. The only hickups we've had were all HW related (no fun in firmware upgrading 200+ disks).

Will you ? :) Thanks, Robert

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards

Henrik Johansen