On Thu, 25 Feb 2010, Alastair Neil wrote:

I do not know and I don't think anyone would deploy a system in that way with
UFS.
This is the model that is imposed in order to take full advantage of zfs
features such as snapshots, encryption and compression and I know many
universities
in particular are eager to adopt it for just that reason, but are stymied by
this
problem.

It was not really a serious question but it was posed to make a point. However, it would be interesting to know if there is another type of filesystem (even on Linux or some other OS) which is able to reasonably and efficiently support 16K mounted and exported file systems.

Eventually Solaris is likely to work much better for this than it does today, but most likely there are higher priorities at the moment.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn