From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org
[mailto:zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Henrik Johansen
Sent: Friday, January 29, 2010 10:45 AM
To: zfs-discuss@opensolaris.org
Subject: Re: [zfs-discuss] Large scale ZFS deployments out there (>200
disks)

On 01/28/10 11:13 PM, Lutz Schumann wrote:
> While thinking about ZFS as the next generation filesystem without
> limits I am wondering if the real world is ready for this kind of
> incredible technology ...
>
> I'm actually speaking of hardware :)
>
> ZFS can handle a lot of devices. Once in the import bug
> (http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6761786)
> is fixed it should be able to handle a lot of disks.

That was fixed in build 125.

> I want to ask the ZFS community and users what large scale deploments
> are out there.  How man disks ? How much capacity ? Single pool or
> many pools on a server ? How does resilver work in those
> environtments ? How to you backup ? What is the experience so far ?
> Major headakes ?
>
> It would be great if large scale users would share their setups and
> experiences with ZFS.

The largest ZFS deployment that we have is currently comprised of 22
Dell MD1000 enclosures (330 750 GB Nearline SAS disks). We have 3 head
nodes and use one zpool per node, comprised of rather narrow (5+2)
RAIDZ2 vdevs. This setup is exclusively used for storing backup data.

Resilver times could be better - I am sure that this will improve once
we upgrade from S10u9 to 2010.03.

One of the things that I am missing in ZFS is the ability to prioritize
background operations like scrub and resilver. All our disks are idle
during daytime and I would love to be able to take advantage of this,
especially during resilver operations.

This setup has been running for about a year with no major issues so
far. The only hickups we've had were all HW related (no fun in firmware
upgrading 200+ disks).

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards

Henrik Johansen