On Tue, February 2, 2010 02:24, matthew patton wrote:

> true. but I buy a Ferrari for the engine and bodywork and chassis
> engineering. It is totally criminal what Sun/EMC/Dell/Netapp do charging
> customers 10x the open-market rate for standard drives. A RE3/4 or NS
> drive is the same damn thing no matter if I buy it from ebay or my local
> distributor. Dell/Sun/Netapp buy drives by the container load. Oh sure, I
> don't mind paying an extra couple pennies/GB for all the strenuous efforts
> the vendors spend on firmware verification (HA!).

Tell that to Intel and their SSD firmware team, or Seagate:

    http://mswhs.com/2009/01/21/seagate-hard-drive-firmware-bug/

Heck, even things as "low-end" as Netgear's ReadyNAS product specify using
only certain versions of the firmware on many drives:

    http://www.readynas.com/?page_id=82

You buy enterprise drives to make sure they work as advertised and don't
drop SYNC commands on the floor and then lie to ZFS about it.

Disk may be cheap, but redundancy, iops, backups, and testing are not.

As someone else suggested, you may want to skip the "enterprise" enclosure
and go with a "consumer" one instead if price is a concern. From home
workloads it may be sufficient to meet your needs.