> charge a premium for their products but they ARE a
> enterprise vendor.  You
> wouldn't say something like "hey, where can i buy a Ferrari
> without any
> wheels...i'm not paying x amount for a silly aluminum
> wheel"

true. but I buy a Ferrari for the engine and bodywork and chassis engineering.
It is totally criminal what Sun/EMC/Dell/Netapp do charging customers 10x the
open-market rate for standard drives. A RE3/4 or NS drive is the same damn
thing no matter if I buy it from ebay or my local distributor. Dell/Sun/Netapp
buy drives by the container load. Oh sure, I don't mind paying an extra couple
pennies/GB for all the strenuous efforts the vendors spend on firmware
verification (HA!).

I will happily pay a couple grand for the chassis, backplane, power supplies,
and original engineering. Like my g'papy used to say; don't p*ss down my back
and tell me it's raining.