Thanks for the reply.

Are cores better because of the compression/deduplication being mult-threaded
or because of multiple streams?  It is a pretty big difference in clock speed -
so curious as to why core would be better.  Glad to see your 4 core system is
working well for you - so seems like I won't really have a bad choice.

Why avoid large drives?  Reliability reasons?  My main thought on that is that
there is a 3 year warranty and I am building raidz2 because I expect failure.
Or are there other reasons to avoid large drives?

I thought I understood the overhead..  The write and read speeds should be
roughly that of the slowest disk?

Thanks.