It sounds like the consensus is more cores over clock speed.  Surprising to me
since the difference in clocks speed was over 1Ghz.  So, I will go with a quad
core.

I was leaning towards 4GB of ram - which hopefully should be enough for dedup
as I am only planning on dedupping my smaller file systems (backups and VMs).

Was my raidz2 performance comment above correct?  That the write speed is that
of the slowest disk?  That is what I believe I have read.

Now on to the hard part of picking a motherboard that is supported and has
enough SATA ports!