> Intel's RAM is faster because it needs to be.
I'm confused how AMD's dual channel, two way interleaved
128-bit DDR2-667 into an on-cpu controller is faster than
Intel's Lynnfield dual channel, Rank and Channel interleaved
DDR3-1333 into an on-cpu controller.
http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=3634

> With the AMD CPU, the memory will run cooler and be cheaper.
cooler yes, but only $2 more per gig for 2x bandwidth?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139050
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134652

and if one uses all 16 slots, that 667Mhz simm runs at 533Mhz
with AMD. The same is true for Lynnfield if one uses Registered
DDR3, one only gets 800Mhz with all 6 slots. (single or dual rank)

> Regardless, for zfs, memory is more important than raw CPU
agreed! but everything must be balanced.

                        Rob