On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 7:54 PM, Brian <broco...@vt.edu> wrote:

> It sounds like the consensus is more cores over clock speed.  Surprising to
> me since the difference in clocks speed was over 1Ghz.  So, I will go with a
> quad core.

Four cores @ 1.8Ghz = 7.2Ghz of threaded performance ([Open]Solaris is
relatively decent in terms of threading).

Two cores @ 3.1Ghz = 6.2Ghz

:)

Although you may find single threaded operations slower, as someone pointed
out, but even those might wash out as sometimes its I/O that's the problem.

I was leaning towards 4GB of ram - which hopefully should be enough for
> dedup as I am only planning on dedupping my smaller file systems (backups
> and VMs)

4GB is a good start.

> Was my raidz2 performance comment above correct?  That the write speed is
> that of the slowest disk?  That is what I believe I have read.

You are sort-of-correct that its the write speed of the slowest disk.

Mirrored drives will be faster, especially for random I/O. But you sacrifice
storage for that performance boost. That said, I have a similar setup as far
as number of spindles and can push 200MB/sec+ through it and saturate GigE
for iSCSI so maybe I'm being harsh on raidz2 :)

> Now on to the hard part of picking a motherboard that is supported and has
> enough SATA ports!

I used an ASUS board (M4A785-M) which has six (6) SATA2 ports onboard and
pretty decent Hypertransport throughput.

Hope that helps.

-marc