Ok, I've done all the tests I plan to complete.  For highest performance, it
seems:

.         The measure I think is the most relevant for typical operation is
the fastest random read /write / mix.  (Thanks Bob, for suggesting I do this
test.)
The winner is clearly striped mirrors in ZFS

.         The fastest sustained sequential write is striped mirrors via ZFS,
or maybe raidz

.         The fastest sustained sequential read is striped mirrors via ZFS,
or maybe raidz

Here are the results:

.         Results summary of Bob's method
http://nedharvey.com/iozone_weezer/bobs%20method/iozone%20results%20summary.
pdf

.         Raw results of Bob's method
http://nedharvey.com/iozone_weezer/bobs%20method/raw_results.zip

.         Results summary of Ned's method
http://nedharvey.com/iozone_weezer/neds%20method/iozone%20results%20summary.
pdf

.         Raw results of Ned's method
http://nedharvey.com/iozone_weezer/neds%20method/raw_results.zip