On Thu, 18 Feb 2010, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:

Ok, I’ve done all the tests I plan to complete.  For highest performance, it
seems:

·         The measure I think is the most relevant for typical operation is the
fastest random read
/write / mix.  (Thanks Bob, for suggesting I do this test.)
The winner is clearly striped mirrors in ZFS

A most excellent set of tests. We could use some units in the PDF file though.

While it would take quite some time and effort to accomplish, we could use a similar summary for full disk resilver times in each configuration.

·         The fastest sustained sequential write is striped mirrors via ZFS, or
maybe raidz

Note that while these tests may be file-sequential, with 8 threads working at once, what the disks see is not necessarily sequential. However, for initial "sequential" write, it may be that zfs aggregates the write requests and orders them on disk in such a way that subsequent "sequential" reads by the name number of threads in a roughly similar order would see a performance benefit.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn