Eugen Leitl wrote:
Oracle's silence is starting to become a bit ominous. What are
the future options for zfs, should OpenSolaris be left dead
in the water by Suracle? I have no insight into who core
zfs developers are (have any been fired by Sun even prior to
the merger?), and who's paying them. Assuming a worst case
scenario, what would be the best candidate for a fork? Nexenta?
Debian already included FreeBSD as a kernel flavor into its
fold, it seems Nexenta could be also a good candidate.

Maybe anyone in the know could provide a short blurb on what
the state is, and what the options are.
Without saying anything negative about Nexenta I would strongly recommend you go try to send a single patch to their equivalent of onnv-gate before recommending it as any sort of replacement for OpenSolaris.

Generally, I think the few open source engineers who actually work with the code are taking a wait-n-see approach. If doom-n-gloom will happen there is nothing we can do to stop it and might as well enjoy the free ride while it's there. Sending patches and encouraging the open source model for OpenSolaris directly is probably the best way to convince Oracle it makes business sense to maintain things as they are.

./C