Hi guys,
   I have just installed open solaris 2009.6 on my server using a 250G laptop
drive (using the entire drive).

I now want to add another [u]identical[/u] 250G laptop drive to the rpool to
create a mirror. The have been no other changes to hardware (x86 -  intel entry
level server board).

All the instructions I have seen indicate i should format the drive with a 100%
solaris partition...eg here
http://darkstar-solaris.blogspot.com/2008/09/zfs-root-mirror.html

The problem is, when I format the drive using "format", "fdisk" and 100%
solaris - yes and then look at the drive size with "format", I see that t[b]he
"new" drive is one cylinder less than the current rpool drive[/b] (C8t0d0).

eg existing rpool drive c8t0d0 = 39999 cyl
 newly formatted drive c8t1d0 = 3999[b]8[/b] cyl
(not actual numbers as I am not infront of the server at the moment - just an
example)

So, naturally when I run ...prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/c8t1d0s2 | fmthard -s -
/dev/rdsk/c8t1d0S2, it complains about the size of the disk.

What am I doing wrong? How can I get the second drive c8t1d0 to format to
exactly the same size as the original?

I am a newbie to opensolaris so please provide step by step instructions as I
have tried to find the answer myself all day but can not.  The closest i have
come is a statement that I need to manually set the partition size...but how?

I also have an 250G desktop drive that I tested and it behaves exactly the same
(ie. formats to one less cylinder).

Thanks.