Just an update on this, I was seeing high CPU utilisation (100% on all 4 cores)
for ~10 seconds every 20 seconds when transfering files to the server using
Samba under 133.

So I rebooted and selected 111b and I no longer have the issue. Interestingly,
the rpool is still in place..as it should be.  So I have now set this 111b as
my default BE ...and removed /dev from the update package list using ...
$pfexec pkg set-publisher -O  http://pkg.opensolaris.org/release opensolaris.org

I am not sure if I had to run the installgrub again, but I did anyway.
#installgrub -m /boot/grub/stage1 /boot/grub/stage2 /dev/rdsk/c8t1d0s0

So all looking good now.  I have my rpool mirror and am back on the "stable"
release version.

I am beginning to like opensolaris.