Looks like an issue with the start /length of the partition table...

These are the disks from "fomrat"...
       8. c8t0d0 <DEFAULT cyl 30399 alt 2 hd 255 sec 63>
          /p...@0,0/pci8086,3...@1f,2/d...@0,0
       9. c8t1d0 <DEFAULT cyl 30398 alt 2 hd 255 sec 63>
          /p...@0,0/pci8086,3...@1f,2/d...@1,0

Loking at the partitions, the existing rpool disk is formatted like this..

             Total disk size is 30401 cylinders
             Cylinder size is 16065 (512 byte) blocks

                                               Cylinders
      Partition   Status    Type          Start   End   Length    %
      =========   ======    ============  =====   ===   ======   ===
          1       Active    Solaris2          0  30401    30402    100

The "new" disk is formatted like this...
             Total disk size is 30401 cylinders
             Cylinder size is 16065 (512 byte) blocks

                                               Cylinders
      Partition   Status    Type          Start   End   Length    %
          1       Active    Solaris2          1  30400    30400    100

I tried to manually create a partition by selecting "part" from the menu but I
can not tell it to start at cyl. 0 or go to 30399...

Help!

Why is this so hard!