On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 08:12, <li...@dentarg.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 3:31 AM, Ethan <notet...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 21:22, Bob Friesenhahn
> > <bfrie...@simple.dallas.tx.us> wrote:
> >> Just a couple of days ago there was discussion of importing disks from
> >> Linux FUSE zfs.  The import was successful.  The same methods used
> >> (directory containing symbolic links to desired device partitions) might
> be
> >> used.
> >
> > Yes, I ran into this very recently, moving from zfs-fuse on linux to
> > OpenSolaris. My import looked almost exactly like yours. I did something
> > along the lines of:
> > mkdir dskp0s # create a temp directory to point to the p0 partitions of
> the
> > relevant disks
> > cd dskp0s
> > ln -s /dev/dsk/c8t1d0p0
> > ln -s /dev/dsk/c8t2d0p0
> > ln -s /dev/dsk/c8t3d0p0
> > ln -s /dev/dsk/c8t4d0p0
> > zpool import -d . secure
> > (substituting in info for your pool) and it imported, no problem.
>
> I have read your thread now ("Help with corrupted pool" for anyone
> interested). It raised some questions in my head... Someone wrote that
> this method "will not work at boot"? Does that mean that the pool
> won't automount at boot or that I can't boot from it (that one I don't
> mind)?
>
> Also, if I import the pool successfully in OpenSolaris (and don't do
> zfs/zpool upgrade), will that destroy my chances of importing it in
> FreeBSD again in the (near) future?
>
> I haven't tried importing because I'm not yet ready to make the switch
> to OpenSolaris, I need to replace a controller (Promise PDC40518
> SATA150 TX4) that isn't recognized, but that's another issue.
>
> I too would want an answer to "Is there any significant advantage to
> having a partition table?", but seeing that your last post is pretty
> new, maybe that will come.
>
> Thanks for the help.

My pool, using p0 devices, does currently mount at boot. This is using the
p0 devices in /dev/dsk, not symlinks in a directory (those have been
deleted).
This does seem like it might indicate that importing the devices changed
something on disk - I'm not sure what, but something that has caused it to
know that it should use the p0 devices rather than s2 or s8. I have no idea
whether this would affect ability to import in BSD. It does not seem like it
should, intuitively, but I don't have much basis in actual knowledge of the
inner workings to say that - you shouldn't take my word for it.

As for partition tables, everything seems to be working happily without
them. I'd still like to know from somebody more knowledgeable about what I
might lose, not having them, but I haven't run into any issues yet.

-Ethan