On 18.03.2010 18:28, Darren J Moffat wrote:

>>> I think it should be possible to store the 'zfs send' stream via NDMP
>>> and let NDMP deal with the tape splitting.  Though that may need
>>> additional software that isn't free (or cheap) to drive the parts of
>>> NDMP that are in Solaris.  I don't know enough about NDMP to be sure but
>>> I think that should be possible.
>>>

>> And here I was thinking that the NDMP stack basically was tapedev and/or
>> autoloader device via network? (i.e. not a backup utility at all but a
>> method for the software managing the backup to attach the devices)
>
> NDMP doesn't define the format of what goes on the tape so it can help
> put the 'zfs send' stream on the tape and thus deal with the lack of
> 'zfs send' being able to handle tape media smaller than its stream size.

How would NDMP help with this any more than running a local pipe
splitting the stream (and handling the robotics for feeding in the next
tape)?

I can see the point of NDMP when the tape library isn't physically
connected to the same box as the zpools, but feeding local data via a
network servce seems to me to be just complicating things...

But that's just my opinion.

//Svein

- --
- --------+-------------------+-------------------------------
  /"\   |Svein Skogen       | sv...@d80.iso100.no
  \ /   |Solberg Østli 9    | PGP Key:  0xE5E76831
   X    |2020 Skedsmokorset | sv...@jernhuset.no
  / \   |Norway             | PGP Key:  0xCE96CE13
        |                   | sv...@stillbilde.net
 ascii  |                   | PGP Key:  0x58CD33B6
 ribbon |System Admin       | svein-listm...@stillbilde.net
Campaign|stillbilde.net     | PGP Key:  0x22D494A4
        |msn messenger:     | Mobile Phone: +47 907 03 575
        |sv...@jernhuset.no | RIPE handle:    SS16503-RIPE
         If you really are in a hurry, mail me at
               svein-mob...@stillbilde.net
 This mailbox goes directly to my cellphone and is checked
        even when I'm not in front of my computer.
                     Picture Gallery:
          https://gallery.stillbilde.net/v/svein/