Heh.

The original definition of "I" was inexpensive.  Was never meant to be
"independent".
Guess that changed by vendors.  The idea all along was to take inexpensive
hardware
and use software to turn it into a reliable system.

http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=50214

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~garth/RAIDpaper/Patterson88.pdf

<snip>

Regarding the 2.5" laptop drives, do the inherent error detection properties

--
"You can choose your friends, you can choose the deals." - Equity Private

"If Linux is faster, it's a Solaris bug." - Phil Harman

Blog - http://whatderass.blogspot.com/
Twitter - @khyron4eva