Russ Price <rjp_sun <at> fubegra.net> writes:

> I had recently started setting up a homegrown OpenSolaris NAS with
> a large RAIDZ2 pool, and had found its RAIDZ2 performance severely
> lacking - more like downright atrocious. As originally set up:
>
> * Asus M4A785-M motherboard
> * Phenom II X2 550 Black CPU
> * JMB363-based PCIe X1 SATA card (2 ports)
> * SII3132-based PCIe X1 SATA card (2 ports)
> * Six on-board SATA ports

Did you enable AHCI mode on _every_ SATA controller?

I have the exact opposite experience with 2 of your 3 types of
controllers. I have built various ZFS storage servers with 6-12 drives
each, using onboard SB600/SB700 and SiI3132 controllers and have
always succeeded in getting outstanding I/O throughput by enabling
AHCI mode. For example one of my machines gets 400+MB/s sequential
read throughput from a 7-drive raidz pool (2 drives on SiI3132, 1 on
SiI3124, 4 on onboard SB700).

I have never tested the JMB363 though, so maybe it was the culprit
in your setup?

-mrb