Cooper Hubbell wrote:
Regarding the 2.5" laptop drives, do the inherent error detection properties of ZFS subdue any concerns over a laptop drive's higher bit error rate or rated MTBF? I've been reading about OpenSolaris and ZFS for several months now and am incredibly intrigued, but have yet to implement the solution in my lab.
Thanks!
So far as I know, laptop drives have no higher error rates (i.e. unrecoverable errors per 1 billion bits read/wrote), and similar MTBF to standard consumer SATA drives. Looking at a couple of spec sheets, MTBF is about 600,000 hrs for laptop drives, and 700,000 hrs for consumer 3.5" drives. Frankly, if I was concerned about individual component failures, I'd look outside the consumer space (in all form factors).

In both cases, they're not terribly reliable, which is why ZFS is so great. :-)

And, yes, to answer your question, this is (one of) the whole point behind ZFS - being able to provide a reliable service from unreliable parts.

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support