> If the ZIL device goes away then zfs might refuse to use the pool
> without user affirmation (due to potential loss of uncommitted
> transactions), but if the dedicated ZIL device is gone, zfs will use
> disks in the main pool for the ZIL.
>
> This has been clarified before on the list by top zfs developers.

Here's a snippet from man zpool.  (Latest version available today in
solaris)

zpool remove pool device ...
Removes the specified device from the pool. This command
currently  only  supports  removing hot spares and cache
devices. Devices that are part of a mirrored  configura-
tion  can  be  removed  using  the zpool detach command.
Non-redundant and raidz devices cannot be removed from a
pool.

So you think it would be ok to shutdown, physically remove the log device,
and then power back on again, and force import the pool?  So although there
may be no "live" way to remove a log device from a pool, it might still be
possible if you offline the pool to ensure writes are all completed before
removing the device?

If it were really just that simple ... if zfs only needed to stop writing to
the log device and ensure the cache were flushed, and then you could safely
remove the log device ... doesn't it seem silly that there was ever a time
when that wasn't implemented?  Like ... Today.  (Still not implemented in
solaris, only opensolaris.)

I know I am not going to put the health of my pool on the line, assuming
this line of thought.