On Wed, 31 Mar 2010, Tim Cook wrote:

If there is ever another OpenSolaris formal release, then the situation will be
different.

Cmon now, have a little faith.  It hasn't even slipped past March yet :)  Of course it'd be way more fun if someone from Sun threw caution to the wind and told us what the hold-up is *cough*oracle*cough*.

Oracle is a total "cold boot" for me. Everything they have put on their web site seems carefully designed to cast fear and panic into the former Sun customer base and cause substantial doubt, dismay, and even terror. I don't know what I can and can't trust. Every bit of trust that Sun earned with me over the past 19 years is clean-slated.

Regardless, it seems likely that Oracle is taking time to change all of the copyrights, documentation, and logos to reflect the new othership. They are probably re-evaluating which parts should be included for free in OpenSolaris. The name "Sun" is deeply embedded in Solaris. All of the Solaris 10 packages include "SUN" in their name.

Yesterday I noticed that the Sun Studio 12 compiler (used to build OpenSolaris) now costs a minimum of $1,015/year. The "Premium" service plan costs $200 more.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn